Sunday, October 14, 2012

Studying For The Scatterbrained.

I woke up on this fabulous Sunday morning ready to take on the day. As I took my early morning shower I began to think of all the things I had to do today. I had church to attend, breakfast to eat and....and....oh, that's right! Homework to do. I tried my best to brush it off. I tried to wash that homework right out of my hair. But, none the less, when I returned back to my room, I saw all of my school books staring me in the face. I got to escape from them for a while, until I came home around noon time.
 
There are so many things that I wanted to do, but I knew that this homework had to get done. I wanted to get it out of the way so I had all the time in the world to do the other things I needed to do, like: paint my nails, clean out my jewelry boxes, read the new Glamour magazine with my twinnie Taylor Swift on the cover...You know, the important stuff!
 
At last, I sat down and started away at this hunk of reading I had to get through so I could present on it tomorrow morning at 10 AM. Let me tell you, if I hear the words liberals, war, Vietnam or President Johnson one more time, I swear, I will go absolute bonkers.
 
But, I am not the easiest at concentrating. It's a skill I lack, I know. I really need to work on that. Besides the point, I was staring at all these words on a page, gripping a highlighter just wanting so badly to read through some blogs or scamper out and grab a coffee. No, no, no, I kept telling myself. To shorten it all up, I got the jod done.
 
Now, if you are anything like me. I am going to give you my tips for studying when all you really want to do is do anything but your homework - root canal anyone?!
 
 
Tip #1: Pick a place that's comfortable for you
I was never comfortable at a desk. Never, ever, ever. I feel confined and locked in. It's just not my thing. I can't do it. I like to sit on the edge of my bed with my books all around me. I like to be relaxed, which helps me focus.
 
Tip #2: Set aside the proper amount of time
Don't think that you are going to be able to read fifty pages of a book in an hour. That is cray! That stuff just doesn't happen! Though we would really love it to, unfortunately, the world is not that perfect. If you know you have extensive readings, budget out the time to how long you think it would take you to read. If you are writing a paper, set yourself aside even more time so that you have time to proofread and fix any errors you may neglected.
 
Tip #3: Take breaks
I can't just sit down for three hours and do homework. Homegirl don't play that. I like to be able to walk around and distract myself for a little while. I like to break up the things I have to do so that I don't have so much information floating around in my little noggin, clogging up the joint. When I read, I usually budget out my time with "okay, I will take a break after I read these ten pages" and once I am finished I will get up and make another cup of tea, pet the dog and then head back to the books.
 
Tip #4: Avoid doing work at night
I speak from experience, you get tired at night. I know, that's a complete shock. But, hear me out. I can't work when all I think about is how tired I am and how miserable I am going to be tomorrow morning, even after a double espresso. I try not to do work past 7 PM, because that's when I start to get restless.
 
Tip #5: Reward yourself
Today after I finished my studying, I told myself I would bake a batch of cookies. Needless to say, I got my work done, even though my waistline was strictly refusing. Have something fun to do after you do a lot of work. When I don't idealy finish my work at 7PM, I tell myself that I will finish before 8, so I can still watch The Voice with the sexy Adam Levine.
 
 
Now, if you will excuse me, I am going to cuddle up with some hot tea and watch some Lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment