Sunday, April 7, 2013

Weekend Shenanigans: Dramas, Dunkin & Future Trips!


My weekend was spent in Agawam, MA with the youth group from my church as they competed in the Fine Arts Festival. As I mentioned before, I am the drama director/coordinator for my church, especially the teens and young adults. So, I had two of the teens, who are actually good friends of mine, competing at the festival performing a drama duo that I wrote and directed. I was able to go on the trip because I was their director and I was made a leader for the trip. I had a room of four girls that I had to take care of - and by take care of I mean make sure they woke up in the morning, they weren't fussy, I loved them.

We left for Agawam around 4 PM on Friday, and arrived at 6:30 PM. Our youth pastor, Pastor Dave, ordered pizza and we all ate and everyone began to get into a panic frenzy which resulted in everyone coming into the hotel room that my girls and I were staying in (because it was the biggest room, holla!) to practice all of their stuff. It ranged from songwriting, vocal ensembles, dances and dramas. Things started to wind down around 11:30 PM and my room probably didn't fall asleep until 1 AM.

We were supposed to be up, packed and fed by 8 AM that morning because we had to head to festival. See photo one. None of the leaders had the opportunity to eat breakfast because we were making sure our teens were in order and so were the rooms before we left, so Pastor Dave let us leave during the orientation of the festival to grab some Dunkin. See photo three. We clearly have a problem. We headed back to the festival and spent the day running around from performance to performance and grabbing a few naps on some church pews during our down time. See photo six. We eventually got ready for the ceremony at 6:30 PM which was when they would announce the winners. I was all kinds of nervous hoping my team made it to the national level. See photo four. They had a few bumps in the road, so I was about ready to toss up the french fries I had for lunch waiting to hear the results. Long story short... WE ARE COMPETING AT NATIONALS IN ORLANDO, FLORIDA! When they were announced I immediately stood to my feet along with the rest of our youth group and I screamed and then fell back into my chair and started bawling my eyes out. I was so happy and proud in that moment. Ahh! Among my team a handful of our other teens made it and we will be heading down to good ole Floriday in August to duke it out with churches from all over the country.

Fun Fact: Angela (Angie) Miller from American Idol used to compete in Fine Arts Festival and they actually called her last night and she spoke to us on the phone and prayed for all of the teens that were competing and will advance. I thought it was really sweet of her. She even tweeted about how she was missing this year's festival.

 
How was your weekend?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment